Knowing that every child, from 0-12 years, has unique needs and learning abilities, the main aim of the Children’s Department is to promote a child-friendly approach to all events and services run by our offices or churches. We also strive to provide the latest training and support for church members, as well as for people from the community, in reaching children of all ages, races and nationalities on a day-to-day basis.
The department also focuses on helping children, and leaders, get the most out of Saturday morning bible classes for children, internally named ‘Sabbath School’ (i.e. similar to ‘Sunday School’ or Hebrew ‘Schul’), endeavouring to make them as engaging, interactive and inviting as possible.
We constantly try to broaden the vision of the department by encouraging church leaders to offer various programmes for their local communities. One such programme, entitled ‘Holiday Bible School’, has long been a very successful method of enabling children, parents and leaders to make connections with neighbours and friends from their local communities. It is important to us to provide churches, families and communities with the support and resources needed to teach Christian and Adventist beliefs and values to our younger generations.
Links & Resources
- Children’s Ministries Coordinator
- Children’s Sabbath School Leader
- Children’s Sabbath School Assistant
- Children’s Sabbath School Teacher
- Vacation Bible School Director
Starting a Ministry for Children
- Children's Ministries Coordinators Manual — General Conference guidebook for organising and running efficient Children’s Ministries programs in the local church.
- Tell a Child, Tell the World: BUC Evangelism Manual — Information & resource manual offering a strong foundation for ministry leadership.
- BUC Keeping our Church Family Safe Child Protection Policy
- Summary of Ofsted Guidelines on Registration of Childcare and Out-of-School Clubs — Wondering whether your children's programme should be registered with Ofsted? This factsheet explains in more detail the types of childcare that do not need to register with Ofsted. Please read it before using the exemption notification form. If you are still unsure whether you will need to register your programme, please contact Ofsted directly on 0300 123 1231 for advice.
- NSPCC — Adults who are worried about a child or need advice or information about child protection can contact the experts at the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000
- ChildLine is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. They can call free on 0800 1111; have a 1-2-1 chat online at www.childline.org.uk; or send an email (they can sign up for a ChildLine account, to send a message to a counsellor without having to use their personal email address or real name).
Resources Available for Loan
- Sizzix Machine Catalogue & Loan Form — Sizzix is a hand-operated die-cutting machine, which uses steel rule die shapes to cut through paper, thin card and foam quickly and easily. Cutting out with scissors takes time and patience. However, die-cutting transforms the tedious tasks of cutting numerous letters and shapes into a fast and easy endeavour replicating the same perfect shape over and over again.
- Badge Maker Loan Form — Our badge maker creates high quality badges, key rings, bottle-openers, mirrors and magnets that are 55mm in diameter.
GraceLink Sabbath School
- The Many Gifts of Grace Link — An introduction to the GraceLink Sabbath School curriculum.
- Children's Sabbath School Lessons — Link to quarterly Sabbath School lesson guides for Beginners (birth-2 years), Kindergarten (3-5 years), Primary (6-10 years), and Juniors (10-13 years); as well as a range of other resources for teachers.
Kids in Discipleship Training
Kids in Discipleship aims to put Jesus at the centre of our families, equipping adults and children alike to use their gifts in mission and ministry. It empowers congregations, parents, and mentors to implement a model of intentional discipleship, allowing families to grow in a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and with each other.
The BUC K.I.D. Leadership Training is 3 days of intensive training designed to equip you to direct Kids in Discipleship in your local church:
- What is Kids in Discipleship? — download this factsheet to learn more about K.I.D.
- K.I.D. Booking Details — how to book places for your church at the next K.I.D. Leadership Training (please contact the SEC Family Ministries Department to discuss subsidies currently available to help meet the cost of this training)
- K.I.D. Information Guide — complete guide containing everything you need to know about K.I.D.
- Jesus in the Family Poster — download a poster to display in your church